Monday, December 21, 2020

The Interview

If you've read my other posts, you know this publication stuff is not easy, and the hardest part (after the writing/editing/rewriting, of course) is just getting the word out. There are plenty of business that will "help" you, everything from book reviews, to contests, to advertising, but all of these options cost so much cash. Over the weekend I spent $200 on advertising and sold 7 copies, and I'm actually thrilled with those results. Book marketing can become outrageously expensive, so it's an obvious economic advantage to utilize as much free publicity as possible.


One way to get your name out there is with interviews. Think about it-- even A-list celebs interview on the talk show circuit. While syndicated TV shows are definitely not in reach, there are other humble options. Podcasts are popular right now, so if you know somebody that does one, reach out. Reaching out is a huge part of this business, so don't be shy, and never hesitate. The odds are pretty good that the interviewer is looking for some good ideas anyway. An old friend of mine and former high school teacher does interviews on his youtube channel, and he was kind enough to interview me here. The interview process did feel pretty nerve-wracking. I may have said a couple silly things, but most people don't know me well enough to notice my anxiety. Overall, the interview is fun to watch and has been seen by hundreds of people.

That in-person feel of the zoom-interview wasn't nearly as nerve-wracking as the phone interview I had for a newspaper, The Journal Standard, here. While the reporter was quite friendly, she wasn't a close friend, so my anxiety level was sky-high. (I'd assume that the majority of writers are shy at heart like me, but that shyness needs to be shed. Don't worry so much.) In the end the article came out fine, helped out tremendously, sold dozens of copies, and spread the word, big time. The story was even published online by its sister paper, The Register Star. Then re-posting sites like News Break ran the story too. The reporter later did a follow-up article, here, which was just as helpful. Spreading the word is one thing, but the re-spreading, or reminding the public is even better.

The easiest interview I've done so far was the email interview for Literary Titan, here. Written question and answer, on your own time. I wrote and rewrote those answers for hours before I finally hit the send button. If a newpaper wants an interview, suggest an emailed q and a first. That's how I interviewed people when I worked at a newspaper. It's easier for everyone, and both parties come out looking polished and professional. In a similar siituation, I had a press-release published in The Daily Item, with some quotes I'd written which looked awesome on the printed page. Writing your own press release is the best-- then you're the interviewer and the interviewed all at once. Press releases can be sent to every newpaper in your area.

So that's it. Get the word out. Don't be shy. Reach out. And try to get as much free publicity as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment